Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Janitor Who Paints by Palmer Hayden


This painting is based on the life of Palmer's friend and artist Cloyd Boykin. "It's sort of a protest painting. I painted it because no one called Boykin the artist. They called him the janitor." (http://www.okcmoa.com/wp-content/uploads/Harlem-Docent-Educator-Resource-Guide.pdf)

The tittle of the painting pulled me in and made me want to find out more about it. The story behind it intrigued me, and made me think of the movie Brother to Brother, and how Richard Bruce Nugent wasn't seen as a poet, but as a gay African American male. Both Nugent and Boykin were extremely talented at the art form they did, but neither of them were taken seriously by the majority of whites because they were black, and expressed reality through their work.

When I look at this painting I see the anger of racism through the baby's eyes. He looks like he is frustrated by being held, and cramped in the small room. The baby could be a symbol for the black community, and how they are frustrated by not being able to live freely.  I also see fighting against oppression because even though Boykin isn't taken seriously as an artist, he still is painting.

I really like this piece and the message that it gives me as an artist. Even though people tell you that you're not good enough, and that you wont make it in life, you still have to try. At least that's what I get when I look at it, there's probably many different ways to view it.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your picture that you chose for your artwork. It is very simple yet has many meanings. I think that you did a great job at combining the things that we did in class to this picture. How you saw every little detail in the baby's eyes and the way that you connected that you were an artist. And how you saw through their eyes. It is incredible. Great job. Bravo Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to really like this poem but i think you have forgotten about that cat. I think that cat looks early human looking and could symbolizing the white presence always lurking. I was impressed with with how you noticed some of the most minute things such as the babies face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how you make this painting relate to brother to brother, how you see the similarities between Bruce Nugent to Boykin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Yuly and I also like how you made a connection to yourself as an artist.

    ReplyDelete